It’s rare that trailers for the MCU give away a lot of location information but the Ant-Man & The Wasp Trailer is rife with outdoor scenes. Let’s examine some of them.
LOCATION: VARIOUS (See Below)
SHOW: Ant-Man & The Wasp (2018)
First off, compared to the first Ant-Man film, it look like a lot more of the film is being shot in San Francisco, just based on the trailer. A lot of the San Francisco scenes from Ant-Man were shot in and around Atlanta, GA. And there are still at least two parts of the chase sequences shot in Atlanta.
Scott Runs & Shrinks [76 Wall St SE, Atlanta, GA]
- Scott runs past the camera shrinking, as he leaps onto the back of a flying ant. Later a purple life-size Matchbox-looking car peels out, and speeds away.
Motorcycle Crash – PEZ [Central Ave & MLK Drive, Atlanta, GA]
- Evading a motorcycle chasing their van, Hope throws a Hello Kitty PEZ dispenser out of the back doors and enlarges it, causing the rider to crash. You can see that some additional VFX have been added to the background of the shot, replacing some Atlanta buildings with their San Francisco counterparts.
Plus, the crew is back shooting scenes at Scott & Maggie Lang’s house, which is located in the Atlanta suburbs.
Looking at the remaining scenes in order from the trailer, we can see the following sequences will take place in San Francisco (assuming they are not cut from the film).
Shrinking Building [1519 Harrison, Oakland, CA]
- Possibly needing to make a quick getaway, Hank Pym shrinks a building and rolls it away like a suitcase. This location was difficult to spot at first, due to the digital replacement of the San Francisco skyline. It was shot, across the bay, in Oakland, CA. Luckily, a brief glimpse of the Hien’s Market sign on a nearby corner led me in the right direction.
White Escalade & Motorcycles [339 Vallejo St, SF, CA]
- A white escalade is either being escorted down a hill by these motorcyclists, or they are surrounding it in an attempt to bring it to a stop.
Blue Van shrinks under Black SUV [930 Montgomery St, SF, CA]
- In a car chase, Scott and Hope (in the Blue Van) shrink the vehicle and drive underneath the black SUV that is chasing them.
Black SUV Flip [Jones St & California St, SF, CA]
- A few shots later, the van grows back to normal size – while still underneath the SUV – causing it to flip perilously in the air.
Car Jump [Jones St & Green St, SF, CA]
- A vehicle (presumably the black SUV) jumps over the camera and down a steep San Francisco hill. Alcatraz can be seen in the distance.
Pier 41 [Embarcadero & Pier 41, SF, CA]
- Luis runs away from the crowds on the Embarcadero near Pier 41. The same purple car can be seen in the background.
Stay tuned to the MCU Location Scout as the film approaches. There will be more locations added as information arises!
To see the filming location listed above, and hundreds of others, please click the map icon below.
From there you can explore all the locations and scout your trip to the Marvel Cinematic Universe!
Got tips? Got corrections? Let me know on Twitter @JovialJay or @MCUlocations!
Behind every scene in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a location. Some are iconic. Some are functional. Some are completely fantastic. But all of them are there to support the story.
Here at the MCU: Location Scout, Jovial Jay digs deep to uncover the real-world filming locations behind your favorite super hero films. From Iron Man to Inhumans and everything in between!
Having grown up on comics, television and film, “Jovial” Jay feels destined to host podcasts and write blogs related to the union of these nerdy pursuits. Among his other pursuits he administrates and edits stories at the two largest Star Wars fan sites on the ‘net (Rebelscum.com, TheForce.net), and co-hosts the Jedi Journals podcast over at the ForceCast network.