Dennis and Beth discuss the penultimate episode of season two of Discovery on show #2-13: Such Sweet Sorrow.
The crew of the Discovery abandons ship and prepares to sacrifice her in the name of future. One problem: the sphere data aboard the ship isn’t going down without a fight and won’t allow a self-destruct or torpedoes to do the job. Therefore, Captain Pike, Commander Saru, and Commander Burnham devise new plans to send the ship to the future in Discovery: “Such Sweet Sorrow.”
- Sarek and Amanda figure out where Discovery is, but how do they get there so fast, and why didn’t they bring Starfleet?
- Are Stamets and Culber ever going to get back together, or did this episode put a bow on their relationship?
- The sphere data will not allow itself or the Discovery to be destroyed. Will the latest plan to send the ship to the future work?
- Why is the torpedo lodged in the saucer of the Enterprise so important? Will this pay off in the season finale?
- The Queen of Xenea is brilliant. Why won’t she share her method for recrystallizing dilithium? The secret eventually gets out.
- Finally, what are our theories for the season finale?
“Such Sweet Sorrow” gets all the goodbyes out of the way ahead of the season finale. This episode establishes the enormous task and potential sacrifice facing the crew in the future. Thanks for joining us, live long and prosper, and don’t ask Georgiou if you really believe “there are no bad ideas.”
Warp Trails is the destination for Star Trek Discovery discussion and analysis. A RetroZap exclusive show–only on the RetroZap Podcast Network!
Welcome to Warp Trails. This weekly show reviews each episode of Star Trek Discovery, the latest incarnation of Star Trek airing on CBS All Access. Your hosts are Dennis and Beth Keithly, a husband and wife team living in Texas. Beth is an old school fan of Star Trek whose fandom is grounded in The Original Series. Meanwhile, Dennis is a relatively more recent fan who traces his fandom to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. Since they met, Dennis and Beth made consumption of Star Trek content part of their weekly routine. The have also named four of their five pets after Star Trek characters.
Warp Trails is a RetroZap Exclusive Podcast. Subscribe to the RetroZap Podcast Network to get this and every other RetroZap show!