Travel 20 minutes into the future with Max Headroom for Star Wars News from D23 on Network 23.
Perhaps you’ve seen his iconic image on T-Shirts and posters. You’ve certainly heard his voice on TechnoRetro Dads before. Maybe you remember his New Coke commercials. But did you know that Max Headroom had a series about a possible future where TV rules the world?
Before (or after) he was a spokesman in Coke commercials, spinning tunes as a virtual VJ, or even a TV talk show host, Max Headroom was the iconic example of artificial intelligence (well, perhaps computerized charisma) brought to “life” by a scan of Edison Carter’s brain and 3D imaging of Matt Frewer’s head and shoulders. This week’s episode is a tribute to Max Headroom with a lot of excitement about upcoming Star Wars opportunities in the near future.
In the NEWS…
D23 has happened without TR3N news, any mention of The Black Hole or Something Wicked this Way Comes remakes, reboots, or sequels, but lots of Star Wars updates which may or may not include the following TechnoRetro Facts:
- See Jefferson Starship on the Galactic Starcruiser as you travel through hyperspace to Galaxy’s Edge.
- The Rise of the Resistance ride is coming soon to Walt Disney World and Disneyland complete with Force-wielding kids shoving aside stormtroopers with their minds.
- See how a squid-headed Quarren meets with danger in our first real look at The Mandalorean.
- The Rise of Skywalker seems to present multiple opportunities to walk over rises in topography to reveal various vistas with the heroes of the sequel trilogy.
- Although we still don’t know if Ewan McGregor will portray Carl Jung on film, we are fairly certain he will reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in an upcoming series on Disney+. James Arnold Taylor is rumored to appear as either OB-2 or OB-6 in the new show.
Max Headroom: 20 Minutes into the Future
JediShua and shazbazzar watch the complete Max Headroom TV series from 1987 and explain the origin(s) of this iconic computer-generated character who continues to be a familiar face (and simulated stutterer) more than thirty years later.
Thanks for tuning in to TechnoRetro Dads, EarBuds! Go online for more TechnoRetro Dads on iTunes, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, RetroZap.com, or TechnoRetroDads.libsyn.com. Pick up your TechnoRetro Dads merchandise at TeePublic. Don’t forget to rate and review TechnoRetro Dads on iTunes, share us and with us on social media, get TechnoRetro merchandise at TeePublic, and join discussions on Discord about toys, cereal, games, movies and/or shows from the ‘70s and ‘80s by giving the ‘Dads your feedback via voice mail at (209) 878-7323 or sending us your mp3dback via electronic-M to [email protected].
Share and enjoy!
Join shazbazzar and JediShua each week for a look back at the ’70s and ’80s as they share the fun and also fandom of their youth with their families, friends, and EarBuds. Topics include TV, film, music, toys, and games of the ’70s and ’80s like Atari, Nintendo, Sega, and arcade games as well as franchises which have continued into the 21st Century, like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Max Headroom, Battlestar Galactica, The Dark Crystal and more. TechnoRetro Dads creates new stories as old legends are passed down from one generation to the next.
If you’re a TechnoRetro Dad, the child of one, or just appreciate the ’70s and ’80s, then this podcast is definitely for you!