Welcome to Kanata’s Castle! The Star Wars podcast that’s rated E for everyone! We are two moms that have an acquired taste: talking about Star Wars! We welcome everyone to our show and oh–NO fighting. Also, don’t stare. At any of it!
Your hosts, Becca Benjamin and Devon Meyers ( a.k.a. Red5Mom), make their debut on the RetroZap Podcast Network! So grab an ice-cold glass of blue milk and enjoy the show! In this episode we wanderlust through Luke’s “Hero’s Journey,” primarily focusing on “Who EXACTLY is Luke Now?” by the time we meetup with him in Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. As we SkySpan our way through the films, novels, comics, and all aspects of Star Wars, we hope we’ll find the answers we are all looking for.
Kanata’s Castle #1: Luke Skywalker: I thought he was a myth?
- The recent Star Wars news: “Red Cup” the Han Solo standalone film, Rian Johnson on Episode VIII and The Last Jedi, the latest novels coming from Del Rey and Disney Books, Star Wars Celebration, and Drowning in Moonlight Gala.
- Luke Skywalker: Who is he now? We discuss Luke Skywalker from start to finish, from A New Hope – into the canonical novels and comics – with a touch of lore from Star Wars Rebels and into The Force Awakens.
- We introduce “a picture is worth a thousand words” with the ending scene from Episode VII featuring a pained Luke Skywalker.
- Special thank you to Liam @LunaticGrunge for lending his voice as Bala-Tik in our opening introduction and to Joey Raphael for his artistic talents that contributed to our logo of Maz Kanata. He can be found/contacted at Sensibleworld.com and on Twitter @sensibleworld.
- Intro music is “Totally Looped” by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
Are you ready to add some spontaneity in your podcast rotation? Are you looking for a show that’s entertaining, engaging, and fun? How about a Star Wars podcast that welcomes anyone no matter where they are on their fandom journey throughout the entire saga? Well, look no further. The podcast you seek is not behind you–it is ahead. You’ve arrived at Kanata’s Castle.
Devon Meyers is an Oppo-Award-winning podcast listener now turned podcaster. She first saw Star Wars in 1977 at the age of 16 and vowed she would one day marry Luke Skywalker. After The Force Awakens teaser in 2014 and then attending Star Wars Celebration Anaheim in 2015, her fandom had an awakening. Devon started writing and became involved in fandom social media.
She started a YouTube channel where she shares her gaming highlights from Star Wars Battlefront, trailer reactions, one of which was featured on “The Star Wars Show,” videos about “Cooking Star Wars,” and shares her fandom in “Show & Tell with Red5Mom,” Devon’s Star Wars Story can be heard on Scott Ryfun’s podcast “My Star Wars Story.”
She is also an award-winning cosplay artist and member of the Rebel Legion as a formal Jocasta Nu. At age 55, she considers herself to be a vintage Star Wars fan. She is retired from youth sports photography and preschool teaching and resides in Virginia with her husband, mother in law, and two of her four kids. Follow her on Twitter, Twitch, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr and Facebook @Red5Mom
In addition to co-hosting duties on Kanata’s Castle, Becca Benjamin is the former editor-in-chief of the Cantina Cast website and current co-host of Tarkin’s Top Shelf. She also prepares titles and captions for Lucasfilm artist Steve Anderson and contributes to Coffee with Kenobi, and Makingstarwars.net. In her words, “I do Star Wars! Yes, it’s a verb and my escape from the mundane ways of life. In other words, I’m just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe.” Connect with Becca on Twitter @urangelb.